Designed for primary education, the LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Essential is the solution for hands-on investigation of STEAM concepts in the classroom. Part of the LEGO® Learning System, SPIKE™ Essential encourages play-based learning while contributing to literacy, math, and social-emotional development. This 449-piece brick set includes 4 minifigures with their own personalities, acting as storytellers to make problem-solving relatable for students.
Access to the intuitive LEGO® Education SPIKE™ App helps students develop age-appropriate coding skills while providing comprehensive support designed to help educators deliver engaging lessons.
What’s in the Box
- 4 relatable minifigures with diverse identities and characteristics foster problem-solving and social-emotional learning
- 2 Small Motors, a Color Sensor, 3x3 Color Light Matrix, and an intelligent Small Hub with 2 I/O ports, Bluetooth connectivity, 6-axis gyro and a rechargeable Li-ion battery with micro-USB charging and connection port
- 449-piece set also includes a selection of familiar LEGO® bricks and replacement elements for intuitive and easy construction
- Sturdy storage box with colour-coded sorting trays for easy classroom management
The Spike App, featuring age-appropriate icon- and word-based coding based on Scratch to help develop student coding skills
Comprehensive Virtual STEAM Curriculum
- 5 units of 8 x 45-minute, standards-aligned lessons encourage independent STEAM thinking through playful, narrative-based problem-solving
- Comprehensive teaching resources for each lesson give every teacher confidence to deliver engaging lessons
- Competency-based professional development program that equips teachers with the skills and knowledge they need to facilitate meaningful STEAM learning experiences that empower their students to succeed
- Develop computational thinking skills, including creating and modifying sequences, testing, debugging, and using loops
- Explore the engineering design process, including defining a problem, brainstorming solutions, and testing and refining prototypes
- Investigate the scientific concepts of energy, energy transfer, and collision
- Strengthen oral communication skills as students discuss their experiences collaboratively
- Engage in narrative-based problem-solving
- Develop social-emotional language by helping a main story character solve a problem
Based on the familiar LEGO® brick, this scalable learning system is intuitive, inclusive and adaptable. Year-over-year, students expand, apply and deepen their knowledge of STEAM concepts, moving from simple explorations to increasingly complex real-world challenges.
LEGO® Education offers a wide range of physical and digital educational resources that encourage students to think creatively, reason systematically and release their potential to shape their own future.
LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure, DUPLO and the SPIKE logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group. Used with permission. ©2022 The LEGO Group.